A short presentation by members of ECLDF
A Scot, transplanted in Italy since 1979
– Grew up in the Presbyterian Church of Scotland; Catholic since 1972
– University Professor of English Language, specialising in History of the English Language, mediaeval Germanic languages, translation (theory and practice), 1964-79 at the University of Wales, Bangor; 1985-present at the University of Turin
– Has published on a variety of subjects, notably liturgical translation
– Translator and interpreter; semi-professional actor
– Lay Dominican since 2003
– Formator in the San Domenico Fraternity, Chieri, 2008-9; in the Santa Maria delle Grazie Fraternity, Milan, since 2009
– Eucharistic Minister, lector
– Translator for many individuals and groups in the Order of Preachers
– President of the European Council of Lay Dominican Fraternities since 2011
– Loves Meister Eckhart and the Rhineland mystics
Married, two sons,
retired after 40 years of work, as Radio Journalist, then Cultural Attaché, then teacher
Doctor in french literature
Canonical licence in Catholic theology
Lay Dominican since 2003, President of his Fraternity, Saint Dominique, in Paris, since 2008
President of the Paris-Normandy FLD Region, since 2009
Member of the France FLD Provincial Council
Member of the European Council of FLD since 2008
In love with the Dominican spirituality (taking care of others, meeting others, study, silent prayer, preaching in various ways)
Married to Hans Beemer since 1968
35 years in (music-)education:
– teacher in primary school
– secondary school teacher of music
– professor/coordinator music education at the conservatoire of Utrecht
Became a Lay Dominican in 1999 while starting with a group (including husband and one of the daughters) a renewed national Dominican Lay Fraternity in The Netherlands (DLN):
– 8 years President
– 8 years member of the commission for initial formation
– 8 years member of the board of Dominican councils of all branches in The Netherlands
– since 2008 representative of DLN for international contacts
– since 2010 pastoral mentor for the Lay Dominicans preparing their definitive promise
– member of the ECLDF as formation officer since 2011
Working as volunteer in the Church of St. Dominic, Utrecht for liturgy and formation since 1991:
– after courses, liturgy and preaching as minister in parish celebrations, meditation, funerals, etc.
– after diocesan courses for leadership in parishes, training working groups
– activities for justice, peace and environment
After finishing university study Master in Theology in 2006 with a thesis on Catherine of Siena and Christology for women:
– member of a team for pastoral work in Utrecht-West, specializing in liturgy and formation for adults
– working in a team for a project for multi-functional use of the Church of St. Dominic, Utrecht with aspects of (religious) study, reflection, meeting, discussion, social and cultural activity
Eldest of four: one brother, two sisters
Devoted to Jesus Christ as lay Dominican.
Independent economist and private trader.
MSc Industrial Engineering and MBA. Theology student.
Lay Dominican since 2005 in Saint Jacinto Fraternity in Seville (Spain).
Member of Fraternity Council and Formator of novices.
Member of Bética LDF Provincial Council since 2008.
Member of the European Council of LDF since 2011.
My life motto: whatever God wills, whenever God wills, as God wills.
JACINTA O’DONNELL Province of Ireland.
Joined the Lay Dominicans in November 2005, I was the founding member of a new chapter which now has 16 members, I was received on 6th June 2006 (666!!) and I made my final promise on 29th April 2008
I was President of my Fraternity from 2006 to 2011, I am a member of the Irish Provincial Council (Secretary and Assistant Treasurer), I represent the laity on the DVI (Dominican Volunteers International) council of Ireland and I also work on the Vocations Promotions Team for the Dominican Family in Ireland. I am now the Communications Officer on the current ECLDF.
I see my ministry as church music. I direct 2 choirs in my local parish church, the Gospel and Folk choir and the Children’s Choir, and am also a member of the Senior Parish Choir. I travel all over Ireland to sing at weddings and funerals.
Together with Geraldine Flanagan, Irish Provincial President, I have released a CD called Hymns to Our Lady, Vol.1, and we travel to churches promoting it with an evening of Marian Prayer increasing devotion to Our Lady.
On the first Friday of every month, together with one of the friars in Athy, Fr.John Heffernan, I visit the sick and take them communion and Fr. John anoints them. This is very rewarding work and the people on our list really look forward to our visit; many of them are housebound
As communications officer I hope to reach out to as many people as possible in our Dominican family. If you wish to be included in my mailing list please send your details to me: email@example.com